My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://vmpyrdavid.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

02 November 2005

Changing my last name to Carnegie

So... Cumberland Island and the Greyfield Inn were very cool.

The Inn was probably the best B&B/Inn I've ever been to. The atmosphere was great. The staff was superb. The house was unbelievable. I would go back faster than Scarlett can slap Rhett.

When we first got to the island after a 40 minute ferry ride, I was still a little unsure about the whole thing. A member of the staff greeted us at the boat landing and we all walked up to The House while other staff members took our luggage from the landing, to the house, and deposited said luggage in our rooms. Everyone took a short tour and received brief history lesson of Greyfield Inn. Heather went upstairs to our 4th floor room and took a short nap while I wandered around the grounds "relaxing" (read smoking & shooting a few photos.) After that I was fine & actually very happy to be where I was.

The food was marvelous. Appetizers & Cocktails @ 6:30, Dinner at 7:30. Salad, Entree, Dessert. Mmm Mmm Good. Everyone sits at a large dining table, like what you see at a dinner party in the movies.
[yelling]Please pass the salt![/yelling]
Everyone's dressed in nice attire. Men in Jackets, etc etc. If you need an adult beverage during the day there's an "Honest John" bar with an occasional bartender, otherwise fix it yourself & sign the Chit. Lunches were prepared for you in a picnic style, so you could eat it where-ever you liked. Out on the Porch, in the dining room, in your own room, out on the property, where-ever. Lactose Intolerant? Not a problem. If something had cow's milk in it, I got something very similar to what everyone else was eating (if not better) as a substitute. The Staff knows. Never was I asked "Are you the one??" Magically it was known. :) Oh yeah, the fridge down in the HUGE kitchen, it was always "open to grab leftovers". Nice.

The house was very cool. It had a definite "Upstairs Downstairs" feel to it. (Go watch Gosford Park) The First (ground) Floor was the dining and food preparation floor. The Second Floor had the Sitting Room, The Library, and The Bar. This floor was also the main entrance floor. Appetizers and Cocktails were served in the Sitting Room, and IIRC, there was a bedroom or office off the Library. The Third Floor had the majority of guest rooms. All of these rooms were on the front of the house and all shared a few common bathrooms. I don't know how many rooms there were on that floor. I'm guessing about eight. The Fourth Floor had two rooms on opposite ends of the house. Both rooms had private bathrooms and large king-sized beds, which were very comfortable.

The Inn's property, or as they call it "The Compound", is covered in huge old oak trees, barely smaller than the ones here in Charleston. There is a barn that has bicycles for you to ride around on the island (because yours is back in Fernandina Beach, FL.) Plenty of tables and chairs scattered around to eat lunch or scavenged leftovers on. A few houses dot the area that family (Carnegie) members still live in.

In the early mornings (before breakfast) you can take a "Bird Tour" to the southern part of the island. This is a great time to see most of the animals that live on Cumberland Island and the sunrise on the beach. Wild Horses. Armadillos. Birds. Snakes. Raccoons. Wild Pigs... After breakfast there is a 3 to 4 hour tour that takes you to the north end to see more of the original houses, and the CONSIDERABLY less developed areas. Swamps, fields, marshes, you name it. You can do both tours, one, or neither. It's up to you. The rest of the time everything is really up to you. No phones, no internet, no cars, no worries, no nuthin. Go explore. The whole time on the island is very relaxing.

It was well worth the cost, it ain't cheap. My individual bartab was about what it costs to stay in a nice hotel in Charleston for one night. We met a group of wonderful people, guests and staff alike. If any of you are reading this: :wavey: & Thank You! Heather and I will DEFINITELY be back.

A few of the photos I took are below.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Found your site on Technorati, searching for Greyfield Inn. I just booked travel there for the springtime for a honeymoon for my fiance and I. How were the daytimes? Did you get out to the beach? How were the bathrooms?

Many thanks for your detailed description!

Anonymous said...

My bad -- I linked you to my website but not to my email address. It's above in this post.

Anonymous said...

My apologies -- I did it again. I'm not a blogger user, but an LJ user. My email is scottbroadway at gmail dot com.