My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://vmpyrdavid.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

22 January 2006

Catching Up.. 19 Jan

Man, BT (British Telecom) is slow. On Monday I called those guys up to activate the phone service and here is Thursday morning and still no service. BP Time means something entirely different in the UK. Yeah, I know that's a stereotype... you don't really think stereotypes come out of thin air do you? Anyway. So I have to wait for the phone service to be active before I can order broadband. Ack. It's amazing that the internet as we use it has only been around since the early 90's and now we (well most of us) can't live without it.

We finally got our shipments from the US yesterday. Well, a dozen of the boxes anyway. Tuesday we got one. Yesterday we got 12 and a form in the mail to get 2 more cleared through customs. Those haven't arrived yet. And wouldn't you know, those 2 have my knives in them and a couple of power converters. Do you realize how hard it is to dice an onion with regular utensils? It's a pain in the arse. Safer maybe than a sharp Chef's Knife, but man it sucks. The power converter I can live without for a little while, I really only need it for the computer speakers. Most everything else electronic I brought can convert the 220V automatically, just need a plug conversion. I picked up a few of those yesterday at the local hardware store. It's a cool store, kinda small buy a great staff. And they're looking for someone full-time.

Oh Hallo! What's that. Someone's knocking at the door......Schweet! The last two boxes have arrived.

Oh yeah, the hardware store. When one of the clerks mentioned that, she also asked if I could work in the UK (Heather "happened" to mention to them I used to work in a hardware store back in the States). I gave her the bad news (no work-visa for me) and I don't really think she knew quite how to respond. :shrug: Might be cool to do. BTW, they sell paint in 2.5 liter cans and 5 liter cans. For the film buffs out there: Royal with Cheese. The 5L can looks like a tall version of the US 1gal can. The store is like a True Value in most respects (at-least the one I worked in.) They have housewares, tools, fasteners, cleaning supplies, paint, a bit of electrical, a few gardening supplies and a bit of wood.

Ok, the boxes are calling me to unpack them.

1 comment:

Vamp D said...

One could say it would be near impossible for me to get a work visa for the UK.